Todd Lyons on Sun, 22 Oct 2000 09:57:41 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Re: What's gone wrong w/ my CD drives?

Greg Lopp wrote:

> >From the machine w/ the cd-rw drive :
> kernel: ide-scsi: hdc: unsupported command in request queue (0)
> kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 0
> kernel: ide-scsi: hdc: unsupported command in request queue (0)
> kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 2

These look familiar.  Try the basic things in the letter I've forwarded
below.

> > Much more info needed, everything else you hear is just a guess unless
> > someone has worked on YOUR machine before.
> Very true.  And I fully expect to find something simple, basic and stupid at
> the bottom of this...I just can't think of what to look for.

I tend to think that you've got a case of am ide-scsi driver that's not
loaded (because the IDE driver is already loaded and it would conflict
with itself).  Read the following from the Silicon Valley LUG.  You can
ignore the ranting because one of the old timers was giving info to one
of the newer users, but the info on the CDRW is pretty clear:

----------Begin quote:

It speaks of Linux not at all that someone such as yourself can
purchase a random bit of hardware, blindly hoping that it will work,
without doing any of the research necessary to determine whether or
not said hardware will work for you...

::sigh::

Then to do no research at all, after the fact...

My starting point, sometime last year, was the CD-Writing HOWTO over
at LinuxDoc. Anyway...

To /etc/lilo.conf add

append="hdd=ide-scsi"  # I believe you said that the drive was
                       # reporting as hdd? Mine is on hdb...

also, ensure that SCSI emulation and General SCSI support are
installed in your kernel... I believe you use a stock RH kernel?

Then I create a symlink

ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom2

Pop in a disc and test mount cdrom2... if everything's working you
re on the right track.

Now... Go read that CD-Writing HOWTO - it'll answer all your other
questions. Since I have a SCSI challenged system, I've been happily
using an HP8250i for the last year or more, and never made a single
coaster...

--
Most traditional Pee-Cee user groups, I've noticed, function mainly as
commiseration societies for people who've bought lousy hardware, are