Kevin Brosius on Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:01:28 -0400 (EDT)

Swap sizes? (was Re: [PLUG] recommendations?)

Erik Yunghans wrote:

> so maybe ill break it down like this:
>
> swap -> 512mb (256 mb of ram)

This brings up a question from me.  This is the second time in the last
week I've seem someone with a lot of memory (eg, more than 128M) suggest
using a larger swap partition than their physical RAM.  The other
message I read suggested 1G of swap on a machine with 128 or 256M of RAM
(I forget which).

Personally, I've never seen much of a need for swap once I hit 128M of
RAM.  Of course, I only do some heavy compiling and no server type
activity.  So the question I've got is, in what cases would you want to
use 2x or 3x RAM if your desktop/workstation machine has 128 or 256M of
RAM?  (Ignoring the fact that on a 30G drive you might not care about
500M of drive space...)

--
Kevin Brosius