Stephen Brown on Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:23:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Swap sizes? (was Re: [PLUG] recommendations?)

Kevin Brosius wrote:
>>  So the question I've got is, in what cases would you want to
> use 2x or 3x RAM if your desktop/workstation machine has 128 or 256M of
> RAM?  (Ignoring the fact that on a 30G drive you might not care about
> 500M of drive space...)

I have 256M of memory in my main workstation and around 130G of disk.
I have swap of 1.5G
The main reason I have that much is vmware, it likes to have swap
to play with, but I also keep tons of things running 24x7 and it just
sucks up a lot of memory. It isn't a big perf hit because the things
I am not using at the moment get pushed out to swap, and that leaves
more space for the vfs cache.
I mean, when you have netscape and mozilla running to test web pages,
I really don't want it sucking up a huge portion of real mem if I can
possibly avoid it :)
I am up to 1.5G by experimentation over the past year or 2 -  I would
notice that I am using a good % of my swap and make a mental note to
bump it up another notch the next time I reconfigured my partitions.

Steve
--
Stephen Brown           Data Clarity, Inc.
steve@dataclarity.net   1-877-496-3527   fax: 801-382-1525