Michael Leone on Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:34:32 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Re: Resizing partitions (Was: Swap sizes? )

From: "Stephen Brown" <steve@dataclarity.net>

> bump it up another notch the next time I reconfigured my partitions.

Speaking of which .... what is the best (non-destructive) way to reconfigure
partition sizes? F'r example, most distros default to having everything
(except swap) on 1 partition. Rather than losing everything I've
installed/created, and having to re-install/re-create, what would be best
way to go about this?

Breaking up that monolithic partition into smaller chunks, re-mounting
(properly!) the filesystem parts on the new partitions (i.e., /var on it's
own partition now) - all without re-formatting the entire disk, and causing
a complete re-install/restore from backup.