Bill Jonas on Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:34:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] recommendations?

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 04:12:20PM -0400, Bob Razler wrote:
> 	With all the RAID options on some motherboards these days, and ultra
> cheap IDE drives, how does Linux like RAID arrays?

Linux likes 'em just fine.  You *do* need to check and see if they're
supported or not, though.  I happen to know off-hand that the Mylex DAC960
is supported (because that was the RAID controller on a recent machine I
installed Debian on for work).  I will say that it's generally better to
avoid DPT controllers, as their driver is a patch that they maintain.  (We
recently had some major headaches getting the kernel upgraded from 2.2.5 to
2.2.17.)

> 	I just used the ABIT KT7 motherboard, with RAID built in (and a
> Duron 650 running nicely at 950 Mhz, not bad for $65) for my wifes PC
> upgrade.  I need to look on the included CD for Linux drivers for the RAID
> controller.

In general, you want to get something (if you're setting out to buy, which
I realize you're not at this point) that's supported in the stock kernel.
That way, if there's a security hole found, you can upgrade right away.
Third-party patches take a little longer and leave you vulnerable in the
mean time.  If you can get past his arrogant attitude (<grin>), Rick Moen
has an excellent explanation at
<http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#hardwaresupport>.

To see if your particular hardware is supported, take a look at the
Hardware-HOWTO (on linuxdoc.org), go to a major distribution's site
(debian.org, redhat.com, suse.com) and look at the supported hardware list,
or get the kernel source (from kernel.org) and poke around in the
configuration applet and see (this last option is the most definitive).

Hope that helps.

--
Bill Jonas                | "If you haven't gotten where you're going,
bill@billjonas.com        |  you aren't there yet." --George Carlin