Tim Peeler on Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:46:42 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] recommendations?

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Erik,
>
> I would make your / partition somewhat larger, like 200 - 300 MB
> because large programs like StarOffice require /tmp to store
> temporary files.  If you don't have enough room then the
> installation will fail.
>
> Brent

Overcome that problem by having a tmp partition.
/tmp : 150-250M, then symlink your other tmp directories to /tmp

If you do it that way, be sure to clean the /tmp directory periodically
preferably when you're not using it, at night, while you're sleeping.
Be sure to test for running programs that require any file in tmp,
such as /tmp/.X11-unix if you're using ?dm

a real nice feature about having /tmp as a seperate partition is that you can
specify nosuid and no executables :)

I don't know why anyone would need /tmp, /var/tmp, /usr/tmp and /usr/local/tmp
anyway.  Isn't one world read/write directory enough to worry about?

Tim