Jeff Abrahamson on Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:45:55 -0400

Re: list policy (was: Re: [PLUG] Upgrading RPM)

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 09:59:14AM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 10/26, Eric Lucas wrote:
>
> > <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
> > I had this problem.&nbsp; I upgraded to a later version of rpm 3 (3.0.6)
> > I got
>
> Yuck.  Can we have no html, and only plaintext posts to this list ?

Gosh mutt showed me his post just fine. Only after your note did I
even notice that lynx had been invoked to show me that message.

Could it be, Darxus, lover of mutt, that your copy of mutt is not
configured properly:

In .muttrc:
auto_view text/html

In .mailcap:
text/html;      lynx %s; nametemplate=%s.html
text/html;      lynx -dump %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput

Incidentally, if you add

application/msword;	catdoc %s ; copiousoutput

you will see MSWord documents inline, too, instead of just seeing
annoying attachments. I get a pleasant frisson from seeing people's
content easily knowing that the carefully crafted formatting that they
misguidedly placed in Word format has been tossed to the ether for my
viewing pleasure.

[As always, see freshmeat for things you don't have.]

I'm not saying that people shouldn't use text/plain intead of
text/html, but lots of people don't know how to change their MUA's.
And even if we get the list to behave well, others will still do
text/html in mail. So it seems worth telling mutt to make it all
academic.

--
 Jeff