LeRoy Cressy on Sun, 29 Oct 2000 07:15:52 -0500

Re: [PLUG] word processing / text formatting / typesetting

WordPerfect  	can get free version from the web.  Good and reliable for
		processing letters and such.  Makes awful html!  Get WP8
		for later versions don't work as well.  For instance WP9
		does not work with Debian Potato distribution.

StarOffice	Huge bloated office suite, but has nice features and great
		compatibility with MS products.  For the person using MS
		in the office and coming home to work on their Linux sys.
		this offers a great choice.  It includes a word processor,
		spread sheet, adabase, and more.  Also creates half way
		decent html.  (I did not say good html!)

Lyx		A pseudo wyswyg word processor that uses Latex as
		a back end.  Easy to use and much better than the early
		versions.  Great for making quick latex files without
		getting bogged down with the formatting.

Docbook SGML	A super system for creating HTML, PS, LaTeX, DVI, man
		pages, and info pages with only one source file.
		The linux source code now includes a lot of the
		documentation in docbook format.  You need the sgmltools2
		package to make it work.  I think that O'Reilly now
		uses docbook for their text formatting.  Xemacs also
		has a sgml mode so indenting is automatic for you.

So with the above choices it depends on what you are looking to create
and the compatibility with MS you require.  For letters and such I like
WordPerfect, for creating muti-purpose docs like man, info, ps, and html
I use docbook.  A smaller sgml and one that is easier to use without
``everything'' is linuxdoc.  This is an older sgml, and unless you are
formatting a complete book, linuxdoc will prove suitable.

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )