Ed G. on Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:31:08 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Has my disk gone bad?

I'm suspect my disk drive is going bad, but so far anyway the
indications are fairly subtle.  I'd like to hear what you think.

Here's why I think it's going bad:

Sometime between 10 am and 3 pm yesterday my webmail server
stopped working.  The server complained about a "parse error" in
file 'mime.php3'.  When I looked at mime.php3 (a text file
consisting of perl code), I discovered that the middle part of it was
corrupted--control characters sprayed throughout it, like a baby
who has just spewed his lunch all over the dining room table.  But
the file's mod time shows that the file has not changed since
installation in May.

I checked for other changed files using 'rpm -Va' and found a single
file, m4.info-2.gz, with changed contents, but with an unchanged
mod date.  gzip complained of a crc error when I attempted to
unzip it.

I took a quick look at the system logs for yesterday between 10
and 3 pm but didn't see any obvious signs of disk failure.

What do you all think?  Is the disk going bad?  What else can I do
to test whether the disk is bad?

My disk has about 110,000 files in it.  Can I safely conclude from
two known bad files that the disk is roasted or is this an
"acceptable" rate of failure?  How common is it in your experience
for small bits of the disk drive to fail, rather than a single
catastrophic failure that leaves you unable to boot up?

TIA,

Ed