Sandhitsu R Das on Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:10:48 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] kernel compile problem

Can someone in the list help out my friend ? I can't - so I'm resorting to
the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:33:13 -0500
From: Raibatak Das <rd54@cornell.edu>
To: sudas@seas.upenn.edu

i was trying to upgrade to kernel version 2.4 on my machine with linux
mandrake 7.2 currently using kernel version 2.2.17-21mdksecure and ran
into the following  problem. any help in resolving this issue would be
greatly
appreciated.

the usual make xconfig; make dep; make clean; make bzImage routine
went fine.
and i moved the resulting bzImage file to the /boot directory. now,
prior to
this my /etc/lilo.conf file looked as follows.

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz-secure
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.17-21mdksecure.img
        vga=788
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux-up
        root=/dev/hda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.17mdk.img
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.17mdk.img
        append=" failsafe"
        read-only

and after compiling the new kernel i added the following section to
the above
file.

image = /boot/bzImage
        label = linux-new
        root = /dev/hda1
        read-only

note that there is no corresponding line for initrd = ...

following this i ran lilo which registered the new boot image fine.
but when i
try to reboot with the new kernel, it basically reaches a point in the
boot up
process where it tries to mount / and runs into a segmentation fault
and hangs. also, when i try to add the initrd =
/boot/initrd-2.2.17mdk.img in the new section of /etc/lilo.conf file,
and try to boot with the new kernel it goes into kernel panic and
hangs.

could someone provide some insight into what's going on here? more
specifically what is the purpose of the initrd tag and how can i
generate a corresponding initrd.img file for the new kernel?

thanks in advance.
raibatak.