M. Simons on Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:37:22 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Bootable Linux business card

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Joel A. Matz asked:
> I've seen this mentioned before.  So what exactly is a bootable business
> card?

A Bootable Business Card is a CD-ROM in the shape of a business card
(slightly rounded on the two short lengths..) Basically it is a cut-down
CD-ROM but specifically manufactured this way.  The thing is, it will
actually work.  (It's sort of like having a mini-cd -- have you ever seen
3" cd singles or cd's cut with weird shapes? Just like promotional picture
(vinyl) albums with weird cutouts, you can still read and use them in your
standard readers/players.)  As far as "Business card" goes -- the main
reason for things like these are for promotional purposes -- just like a
normal cd -- you have things printed on one side... so it becomes a
marketing material or business card -- if what you put on it is really
useful or interesting, then people are going to keep it around.  At very
least, it has some novelty value.

As far as "bootable" goes, when the Linux community talks about these
things, typically they are talking about the ones, I believe, Linuxcare
has given out, which I believe is a Bootable Linux or recovery disk/tools
or something to that effect.

You can also get CD-R's in the Business-Card type shape, or get CD's
manufactured that way.

--
msimons@caip.rutgers.edu