Kyle R . Burton on Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:46:57 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] writing assembly for linux OS

> hello i have been programming for intel computers for a few months now, it's
> really fasinating stuff i think , but i only know how to program using the dos
> software interrupts, ... in short i wa wondering if there were an assembler for
> linux.. and a guide for the interrupts that it uses..

The assembler is gcc - it's capable of compiling assembler code.  As far
as the interrupt documentation goes, I'd look at the kernel source,
take a peek in the docs directory:

          + Title: "The Linux Kernel"
            Author: David A. Rusling.
            aspects of the Linux Kernel. Probably, the first reference
            for beginners. Lots of illustrations explaining data
            structures use and relationships in the purest Richard W.
            Stevens' style. Contents: "1.-Hardware Basics, 2.-Software
            Basics, 3.-Memory Management, 4.-Processes, 5.-Interprocess
            Communication Mechanisms, 6.-PCI, 7.-Interrupts and Interrupt
            Handling, 8.-Device Drivers, 9.-The File system,
            10.-Networks, 11.-Kernel Mechanisms, 12.-Modules, 13.-The
            Linux Kernel Sources, A.-Linux Data Structures, B.-The Alpha
            AXP Processor, C.-Useful Web and FTP Sites, D.-The GNU
            General Public License, Glossary". In short: a must have.

is from the file:

 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-docs.txt

good luck

"From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back.  That is the
 point that must be reached."   -- Kafka