Greg Lopp on Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:33:31 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] writing assembly for linux OS

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 04:46:44PM -0500, Kyle R . Burton wrote:
> > hello i have been programming for intel computers for a few months now, it's
> > really fasinating stuff i think , but i only know how to program using the dos
> > software interrupts, ... in short i wa wondering if there were an assembler for
> > linux.. and a guide for the interrupts that it uses..
>
> The assembler is gcc - it's capable of compiling assembler code.  As far

Not meaning to pick nits, but my understanding was that gcc generates assembly from
C and internally passes it to "as" for further processing.  Not a big difference, but
note that they both use the AT&T assembly syntax.  "mov %eax, %ebx" means move the
32 bit value in eax to ebx.

If you watch to use the less-logical-but-more-common-in-DOS-circles Intel syntax
("mov ebx,eax"), try NASM (http://linuxmedialabs.com/nasm/html/nasmdoc0.html)