LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:42:59 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] kernel compile problem - no responses ?

Initrd is used for floppy boot disks.  Initrd is the root image on a
single file like initrd-2.2.17-21mdksecure.img.  On an up and running
system you shouldn't be using initrd.  What you are doing is giving the
kernel conflicting instructions, one that the root file system is on
/dev/hda1 and now you are attempting to also load the root file system
as a initrd image.  Also initrd must be an option compiled into a
kernel.  Attempting to load an initrd image without it being compiled
into the kernel won't work.

Also, To make your upgrades a little easier make symbolic links in the
root partition pointing to the /boot/? like

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root 19 Jul  2 13:53 vmlinuz ->
boot/bzImage-2.2.16
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root 19 Jul  2 13:54 vmlinuz-stable ->
boot/bzImage-2.2.16
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root 19 Mar  8  2000 vmlinuz.dist ->
boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root 19 Mar 16  2000 vmlinuz.old ->
boot/bzImage-2.3.48

When you copy your new kernel to /boot also copy the System.map file to
/boot/System.map-2.3.48

This way you can have various Kernels /boot with matching symbol maps.
I also include the version number info when I copy bzImage as shown
above.   If a new kernel doesn't work I can just adjust the symbolic
links without having to mess with the lilo.conf file.  Always to
remember to run lilo after each change to the kernel.

I hope that all of theis makes sense.

also your /etc/lilo.conf should only include for each image

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

unless you are passing kernel parameters.  When you compile a new kernel
the only time that you have to tell it where the root directory is if
you compile a kernel on a box that you don't know where the root
directory will be.  Read the rdev man page.  Also if you are going to
tell the kernel where the root directory is then it seems wise to tell
the kernel where the swap partition is.

Make sure that your root partition is where you are telling the kernel
where ist is.

I hope that this helps

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\