Walt Mankowski on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:58:00 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] dynamic file (script output)

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 09:13:06PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> also sprach Walt Mankowski (on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 09:06:21PM -0500):
> > OK then, why do you want to do this?  What's the advantage of being
> > able to cat the file instead of just executing it directly?
>
> to use it in programs that expect a file. simple example: your
> .signature file, so the signature to every mail you write will be
> dynamically created...

Ah.  Got it now.  Sorry for the previous curt replies.  I wasn't sure
what you were trying to do.

Some mailers have support for this built in.  For example, in mutt you
can say

set signature='foo|'

and mutt will use the output of foo as your signature.

Another approach is to use cron to run foo and have it update
.signature periodically.

If you want to go the named pipes route, you might want to take a look
at a program called signature.  I've never used it (it was the first
thing that popped up on freshmeat when I searched for "signature" :-)
but it claimed to generate random sigs using perl and named pipes.

Walt