one bad brain on Fri, 8 Dec 2000 01:57:55 -0500

[PLUG] Linux Crypto File Systems

At the meeting Wednesday, I got into a discussion with someone (I didn't get your name) about cryptographic file systems.  I have been doing a little research on it and I am sorry to say that nothing looks real promissing at the moment, and I don't know that I'd use any of them full-time.

At any rate, a great overview page is at: http://drt.ailis.de/crypto/linux-disk.html
The best options (after reading through the above page) seem to be http://ban.joh.cam.ac.uk/~adm36/StegFS/ and http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~ezk/research/cryptfs/index.html

I am still looking through this info and will post back to the list if I find anything more.  The main problem is that you will see a system performance hit...

I am all for security, and I am intergrating crypto as much as possible, but unless you can afford shielded cases and (physical) bug-detecting equipment, I think this may be a little unnecessary to take this step at the moment... a 50% performance hit is a little unreasonable.

-hunter.