Tracy Nelson on Fri, 8 Dec 2000 08:17:50 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Crypto File Systems

----- Original Message -----
From: "one bad brain" <vex@unixpunk.dhs.org>
> I am all for security, and I am intergrating crypto as much as possible,
but unless you can afford shielded cases and (physical) bug-detecting
equipment, I think this may be a little unnecessary to take this step at the
moment... a 50% performance hit is a little unreasonable.

50%?!  Holy cow, maybe they should compress the data before they encrypt it.
Less data to move all around, and hopefully the bandwidth you save will make
up for the encrypt/decrypt overhead.  Of course, the real solution is to
build the encryption into the HD controller, but I doubt we'll see that
anytime soon.

Any guesses as to the effectiveness of weak crypto?  I mean, seriously, if
the local PD confiscates your box and you've just XORed everything, how long
do you think this would delay them?  It would certainly defuse a straight-on
brute force search with find/grep or similar tools.  How sophisticated is
local law enforcement?  Of course, if you're nabbed by the FBI or their
buddies, you're most likely hosed regardless of what you use...