MaD dUCK on Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:07:40 -0500

Re: [PLUG] RH 6.2 unstable?

also sprach Rupert Heesom (on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:45:23AM +0500):
> I've been told in the past that RH 6.2 is an unstable version of RH
> linux.   Well, I'm using 6.2, and I now tend to agree.    In the past
> few days, I've had my PC slowing down to a freeze or the Gnome pager die
> on me!!

i would swear by my left pinky that it's gnome that's freezing, not
linux. gnome sucks pretty bad in my opinion, if you plan on using a
file manager, you might just as well use windows. in general, i find
that crashes of my system are due to X stuff and the more fancy your
window/desktop manager gets, the easier it crashes. gnome crashed a
whole lot on me, that's why i am now with windowmaker and vtwm.

> I expect LInux to be able to handle a heavy app load, and keep going
> indefinitely without having to reboot.....is this an unrealistic
> expectation?

well, indefinitely... i am not sure. it will overflow in 2106... but
yes, it's a reasonable assumption provided you took care against power
outage and that you aren't messing with memory and the kernel layer in
real time.

> Is RH 7 better than 6.2??   Is it worth upgrading?

RH7 better? mh. if you want a good distribution, the go for SuSE, i
still find that to be the best. or debian. RedHat is Pop-Linux, far
too commercial for my taste and far too wizardry in that they try to
automate processes - which is one reason why we are not using
micro$oft crap - because we hate wizardry.

RH7 over RH6.2 is nothing but updated packages and a little bit of
changed structure. you can update your kernel to 2.2.17 and make sure
that the software you are using remains patched and at the latest
version (with tarballs, not that RPM crap - SuSE uses that too
unfortunately) and what you get is something that is "better" even
than RH 7.0.

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
"in any hierarchy, each individual rises
 to his own level of incompetence,