MaD dUCK on Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:17:40 -0500

Re: [PLUG] How to TAR a disk to SCSI tape?

also sprach Rupert Heesom (on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:41:50AM +0500):
> I'm fairly new at Linux, I have it loaded as the primary OS on my
> PC.   I have a SCSI tape drive which I want to use to back Linux up
> to.    Now the best way to do this I'm told is using the TAR util, but I
> can't seem to get it to create an archive on tape.....on disk yes, but
> not tape!

assuming you just created a backup archive on disk in /tmp/backup.tar,
try writing it to /dev/st0 using dd:

dd if=/tmp/backup.tar of=/dev/st0 bs=1k

in any case, please don't just say it reports an error, but post the
exact error that tar reports when trying to write to /dev/st0 and what
dd produces...

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--