Michael Leone on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:07:44 -0500

Re: [PLUG] RH 6.2 unstable?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Abrahamson" <jeff@purple.com>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] RH 6.2 unstable?

> This is a slightly pedantic, but hopefully informative, bit of
> information on the state of GNOME/window manager/file manager
> things. Please bear with me.
>

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 09:20:19AM +0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > > also sprach Rupert Heesom (on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:45:23AM +0500):
> > >
> > > i would swear by my left pinky that it's gnome that's freezing, not
> > > linux. gnome sucks pretty bad in my opinion, if you plan on using a
> > > file manager, you might just as well use windows. in general, i find
> >
> > Not in my opinion. Altho you're right - the file manager sucks. Badly.
>
> I need to correct a significant misunderstanding here. GNOME is not a
> file manager, it is a desktop environment.

Right; I am aware of that.

> So, for example, Evolution, the upcoming groupware thing that's
> designed to make Outlook users feel at home, is actually several
> different applications (a mailer, a calendar, a PIM, etc.). But it
> looks to the user like one application because GNOME allows these
> individual programs to display themselves embedded in a container that
> makes it all look integrated, and to share information so that it
> really is integrated. But because they are separate programs, all you
> have to do is write or adapt a new component and plug it in if you
> want to replace, say, the mail client part. Try that with Outlook.

Evolution is nice. Or will be, when it doesn't crash every time you expunge
your mailbox. :-) I like the newsgroup-style threading of email.

Not quite ready for primetime, yet. Altho they've been promising to release
weekly binary builds of the CVS code, which is supposed to be more stable,
and fix many of the features.

> [Divert Outlook flames to /dev/null. Evolution tries not to duplicate
> the horrid parts of Outlook. And there's a real need for this in
> certain corporate environments, so it's a big stumbling block for
> linux right now in those environments.]
>
> Incidentally, it's common knowledge among gnomers that gmc, the GNOME
> file manager, sucks rocks.

Sure does. mc, on the other hand - Midnight Commander, the command-line
version, made to look and work like the old Norton Commander (for DOS)-
rocks.

> It's there because it exists, not much
> more. There's a replacement in the works, called Nautilus, that's
> looking pretty slick. You can get a preview release at
> <http://www.eazel.com/>.

I had heard that. I've also heard that, if you use Nautilus, other things
break - like Evolution. Note that that is hearsay, and I have no proof,
other than rumour..

> Note that Nautilus is not completely stable yet, and it's feature
> incomplete. But it's kind of usable and won't trash your files
> (besides maybe adding a file called "core" from time to time ;-).
>

> > > that crashes of my system are due to X stuff and the more fancy your
> > > window/desktop manager gets, the easier it crashes. gnome crashed a
> > > whole lot on me, that's why i am now with windowmaker and vtwm.
> >
> > Gnome never crashes on me.
>
> I want to second that GNOME itself is quite stable. I have seen X
> crash on rare occasion, and I've seen GNOME apps occasionally die. But
> I've never seen the core GNOME stuff crash on me. YMMV.

Happened just once to me, on exit. So I did an ALT, CTRL, BACKSPACE, and
killed X entirely. Since I was trying to exit anyway, it didn't matter.
Wasn't like it crashed, and dumped me back to the command line.

> However, know this: essentially all distributions ship an out of date
> version of GNOME. Before dismissing it, you should try a current
> version.
>
> To get a current version of GNOME, go to <http://www.helixcode.com/>
> and click on the "I want Helix GNOME" button. After a bit of
> information, it basically tells you to su to root and type
>
>      lynx -source http://go-gnome.com/ | sh
>
> This is one of the cleverest simple things I've seen in years. Anyway,

Yep; works just like WindowsUpdate - except that HelixUpdate gives updates
on many applications (such as Evolution, etc), not just the window manager,
like MS's does. And MS's site does NOT include all the (many) security
updates they issue.
(to be fair, Helix doesn't give out security patches - or programs patched
for security reasons, either)