Darxus on Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:09:01 -0500

[PLUG] keysigning - verifying email addresses

A subject that came up in discussion about keysignings once was the fact
that the way we've been doing keysignings only verifies a person's name,
and not their email address.

There are lots of ways of doing keysignings, and I've read every procedure
I've found.

I came across one that had an idea I liked, to verify email addresses --
mailing secrets.  This would be especially useful for people who you don't
know personally who don't have a name field matching photo ID.

If you would like to verify a person's email address before signing their
key, then get a list of the addresses of people who will be participating
at the next keysigning from the bottom of http://www.phillylinux.org/keys
and email each of them a different random secret.  I suggest using the
program "pwgen".

$ pwgen 8
quomoox
$ pwgen 8
fedasoo
$ pwgen 8
vishidu

So, say, for the next meeting, you want to verify the email addresses of
the 3 new participants for january:

pub  1024D/70210CAA 2000-11-30 N-Tropy (Flint Heart) <n-tropy@n-tropy.com>
pub  1024D/0C3F6A8E 2000-12-11 David A Nurse <Danurse01@hotmail.com>
pub  2048R/395F5F1B 2000-08-21 Paul Raj Khangure <prk@digitaljunkie.net>

You would pick (or generate) 3 different secrets(passwords), and mail
one to each.

So send email to n-tropy@n-tropy.com before the meeting & ask him to
write down & bring the password "quomoox" with him to the next meeting.

Email "fedasoo" to Danurse01@hotmail.com, etc.

At the meeting, when verifying their fingerprint / photo ID, ask them
for the secret/password you emailed them.

FYI, I'm really hoping prk@digitaljunkie.net shows up - he's visiting from
australia.

--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com