Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:18:58 -0500

[PLUG] lilo question

I've got two lilo problems. I've been reading lilo docs for hours now
and it's still not clear to me.

1. Whatever else is going on, lilo just doesn't seem to want to let me
boot from my hard drive. This has been the case since I installed my
latest copy of linux (RH 6.2). I used to be able to boot off of my
hard drive in days past (but then it was /dev/sda).

I've attached a copy of lilo.conf. But, basically, you should know
that I've got two hard drives, /dev/sda and /dev/hda. I want to boot
off of /dev/hda5. I use the much smaller scsi drive for swap and some
extra storage. It's historical.

I run lilo (as /sbin/lilo -v -v -v), but it's either not writing to my
MBR or it's not doing it the way I want. I want to turn the machine on
and have linux come up. Now it turns on and says it can't figure out
what to do, why don't I insert a floppy and hit return.

2. I compiled a new kernel (2.2.18) because I wanted USB support for
my flashcard reader so I can use my new digital camera. I get bzImage,
but no file to put in /boot/initrd-2.2.18.smp.img. Of course, since
lilo isn't writing to my MBR, I can't boot a new kernel anyway,
because my floppy boot disk doesn't know about other kernels.

Ugh. Any help much appreciated.

--
 Jeff

boot = /dev/hda