Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:21:51 -0500

Re: [PLUG] lilo question

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:02:01AM -0500, Serguei Ostrovskii wrote:
> Serguei Ostrovskii wrote:
>
> > Hello Jeff
> > You say you were able to boot from your sda in the past.
> > I assume you installed new hda, booted from your sda and
> > installed RH on hda. Then you ran lilo.

Had sda, upgraded kernel to add very large hda, messed up lilo so
machine was unbootablee. Rescue disk didn't like booting off of
sda. Oops. Wonder what happened to my sda rescue disk.

Backup wasn't as current as I preferred, so I unplugged sda to protect
data, installed hda and installed to it from CD. Then mounted old sda
and copied stuff over. For some reason I haven't been able to boot
since. Maybe the messed up lilo on sda is being seen first?

> > If so, at that time BIOS address of your hda was not 0x80 as it should,
> > but something unclear ( depends on your SCSI card BIOS ).
> > Read about disk= parameter in LILO docs. It is about the address
> > of your disk as BIOS will see it at _boot_ time.
> > Also, in your master BIOS set IDE ( or C: as it will probably say )
> > as your primary boot device. This way, BIOS will access hda as 0x80 device.

I'll take a look at that tonight when I get home. (Can't look at bios
over ssh. ;-)

> Forgot to ask - what exactly are you trying to achieve -
> 1) Keep having boot MBR on sda and load everything else, or
> 2) Create boot MBR on hda, ditto ?

I just want the machine to auto boot without a floppy. Then I also
want to be able to use USB.

I'm tempted to do a couple full backups, then a full clean
install. I'm disappointed with IDE vs. SCSI. The difference is marked:
SCSI disk access never slows down my CPU. IDE does. So putting / on
sda would be better, anyway.

But it bothers me that I don't understand this boot problem.

--
 Jeff