Beldon on Mon, 1 Jan 2001 11:17:44 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Help Needed with Xircom Modem/NIC & Linux

On Monday 01 January 2001 05:54, you wrote:

> > Hi,
>
> I can't seem to get the NIC working....the modem works fine. Can anyone
> help....thanks!
>
> I'm not sure if this is the problem but it may be a factor....when the
> system boots, it inserts the "serial_cs" module but does not insert a
> module for the NIC. I believe the correct module is "xirc2ps_cs". This
> module does exist on my hard drive.
>
> Details:
> Xircom Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56:  Model REM56G-100
> OS: Redhat 6.2
> Kernel: 2.2.16-3
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerry

Your problem may be the Xircom card itself.

Let me say at this point that I tend to be a staunch "one function per card"
believer.  That being said, we had these cards at my last job an couldn't get
them to work reliably at all, even under Windoze with the company supplied
drivers and all.

My advice-- be happy with a working PCMCIA modem (it is PCMCIA, isn't it?)
and get a reliable, name-brand ethernet card.