Steve Davila on Fri, 5 Jan 2001 01:07:36 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Help Needed with Xircom Modem/NIC & Linux

Jerry,

    I was checking out work laptops (Dell Latitude CPxH 500, CPxJ 650) out with Redhat 7 and the xircom 32-bit dual card (RBEMxxxxx) I think.  Everything worked out of the box.  I was looking for the drivers for the laptop, working on my home system, then decided to try and ping something and found that it was working.  Even was able to hot-remove and reinsert the card without problems.

I can't definitively say, but I think the RH 7.0 install didn't have the xirc2ps_cs module on the system when I did a 'find' for it.  The only reason I remember is because it was odd-enough for me to make note of.  It might be worth doing the upgrade (and subsequent security patches.)

                    -Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Jerry McMunn
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2001 5:55 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Help Needed with Xircom Modem/NIC & Linux

Hi,

I can't seem to get the NIC working....the modem works fine. Can anyone help....thanks!

I'm not sure if this is the problem but it may be a factor....when the system boots, it inserts the "serial_cs" module but does not insert a module for the NIC. I believe the correct module is "xirc2ps_cs". This module does exist on my hard drive.

Details:
Xircom Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56:  Model REM56G-100
OS: Redhat 6.2
Kernel: 2.2.16-3

Regards,

Jerry