Bill Jonas on Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:17:39 -0500

Re: [PLUG] HD hosed by stupidity and xcdroast

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 12:55:54AM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> Yep; answered "yep". Fingers moving before brain. And xcdroast wiped the
> whole /dev/hdb2 partition. Including /, /usr, etc.

>From <http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-3.html>:

   One also could think of creating an extra partition and writing the
   image to that partition instead to a file. I vote against such a
   strategy because if you write to the wrong partition due to a typo,
   you can lose your complete Linux system. Read: that happened to me...

Well, you're in good company, at least.  Don't feel too badly; back in the
spring I accidentally deleted my entire home directory.  (Mental note to
self: you either want to delete all files while you're in a directory, or
change to the parent and delete the directory you were just in, *not* some
combination of the two approaches...)

Anyway, I don't think it'll be much help to you since some critical areas
of the disk were overwritten, but you can take a look at
<http://www.billjonas.com/papers/undeletion.html>.

But it's like I said to my fiancee when the same damn thing happened to
me: "I don't care so much about the damn binaries, I just want the text
files back."

BTW, I've heard people say some very good things about Mandrake and have
tried it myself.  You might want to give it a spin....

--
Bill Jonas                | "In contrast to the What You See Is What You
bill@billjonas.com        |  Get (WYSIWYG) philosophy, UNIX is the You