Joseph B. Welsh on Tue, 9 Jan 2001 08:47:27 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Oddness with gdm (graphical login)

It's a documented problem with the Mandrake 7.2. I also had the same problem
if you check the following webpage

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/jandr/Mandrake.htm
And go to the How to Archive
Select Helix Gnome

There is a nice write up about the problem and the solution.

Give it a try it worked for me.

Joe

Michael Leone wrote:

OK. So I'm trying out Mandrake 7.2 - quite a nice distribution. But I'm having a bit of a login problem, and having difficulty finding out the reasons (and answers).

I now login via gdm (the Gnome Display Manager). Fine; I can deal with that. BUT ... it seems to keep forgetting that "Gnome" is an option.

I've noticed that the file "Gnome" in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions keeps losing it's "execute" privilege. If (as root) I do a "chmod a+x Gnome", then "Gnome" shows up as an option in the gdm login box. HOWEVER, if I reboot, then the file gets reset - there's no more "execute". And I haven't found what it is that's resetting it. Has to be something Mandrake specific, but I haven't been able to figure out what.

Anybody using Mandrake 7.2 with gdm? Or ANY thoughts? :-) It's really irksome.