Beldon on Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:57:23 -0500

[PLUG] Deep, involved technical question

I got into a conversation with a cow orker today and found myself being asked
a question I was in no way qualified to answer.

He was talking about a problem we have with an application.  This application
has a server and a client component, and the server lives on the same box as
the DBMS.  Not a problem except that it's an NT 4 box.

Now, understand, the team I am currently on is extremely defensive about
Windows.  They have been on the defensive for a while now amidst rumors that
this app would go on AIX (a major loss to the team), and they're always
saying vey ill-informed things like "NT is as stable as Unix, an we can prove
it!"  (In fact, our NT boxen are very stable-- because they're rebooted
weekly).  It's only gotten worse since I announced I'd be leaving for the
DB2/AIX team.

So we're talking about how NT can't really handle the resources for two major
pieces of software (SQL Server and the Server for the application), and this
guy says to me, "Well, any OS has trouble running more than one server app,
isn't that right?"

I said, "No, not really."

He said, "How come?"

I said, "Because Unix handles tasks differently.  There isn't the same amout
of resource contention on equal equipment because it's all about process
control, rather than threads.  Each process has its own space that appears
exclusive to that process.  That's why when an app crashes, it doesn't bring
the system down."

He said, "Well I was under the impression that NT does the same thing."

And that, my friends, is where my knowledge ends.  I knew he was wrong, but
couldn't say why (to the depth I needed to).

So, was I right as far as I went (not very) and can someone either give me a
quick and dirty explanation or point me to a good source?

Thanx for reading and for the help.