Bill Jonas on Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:27:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ATX power off

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 04:58:59PM -0500, Alexander John Batyi wrote:
> Basically I want to cause Linux to shutdown, umount, etc. via
> pressing the power button like CTRL-ALT-DELETE currently does
> and then power down the system.

Very interesting problem.  Reminds me of the time that a previous boss of
mine was trying to figure out a way to bring down an old SGI box running
IRIX.  He tried all manner of things relating to 'halt' and 'shutdown',
but nothing worked.  Finally, he just hit the power button, and box
started its shutdown sequence.  :)

Anyway, you might want to look at the following files in the kernel
source:
arch/i386/kernel/apm.c
include/linux/apm_bios.h
("find . -name '*apm*', although the others seemed to be either
architecture-dependant or one-line files used for configuration.)

A Google search on '"atx specification" site:.intel.com' might turn up
some useful stuff, though I'm too lazy to run that query right now myself.
I don't know if this is possible on i386 or not.  My gut tells me no
(Windows tends to have features before Linux does, after all, and Windows
doesn't do this), but ...

I hope I've been of some help; maybe someone else could jump in here?  In
any case, be sure to keep us in the loop.  :)

--
Bill Jonas                | "In contrast to the What You See Is What You
bill@billjonas.com        |  Get (WYSIWYG) philosophy, UNIX is the You