gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:37:21 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Oddness with gdm (graphical login)

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 03:15:03PM -0500, Aaron E. Ross wrote:
>  i'm sure that's what he meant, there are some settings for the vt100
>  terminal emulation, but i haven't gotten those right either.

Such as?

(TERM being "vt100" really ought to be sufficient, no? Though I much
prefer TERM in xterms to be "xterm" unless I'm running some
application that prefers otherwise.)

>  is there anyway to figure out which files are actually being used? i'm
>  tired of trying to track down what files one shell script looks at only to
>  realize i started with the wrong script.

Um.

I guess you could log out, ssh in from somewhere else record c-
and mtimes of dot files (don't log out!), log back in graphically,
then compare the times.

I actually think it'd be less hassle just to do some tracing of
scripts, though... and you'll come out of it understanding how the
process works a bit better anyway.

>  what starts X when you boot at runlevel 5? xinit?

Erm, no. gdm starts X, properly.

Go poke around in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11... there's an xdm directory
there in standard X11R6(.4), and something within that that would
(if you were using xdm) tell xdm what else to start. I don't have
a machine handy with Gnome installed, but as I recall it installs
stuff in a similar way and place.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net