gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 9 Jan 2001 14:57:54 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Oddness with gdm (graphical login)

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 11:50:56AM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> I think some distributions use ~/.xdefaults...

Um... not sure, but I *think* you mean .Xdefaults, which is supposed
to be variable settings for the X server. (Like, "XTerm*Font: 6x10".)

Though it might be possible to kludge some kind of call to xmodmap
in there, that's hideously wrong-headed (average users should never
even have to *know* about .X*).

If there are actually Linux distributions that somehow make the
display client (er, "window manager", I guess) look at .xdefaults
instead of .xsession (for display manager logins) and .xinitrc (for
starting X from a real tty), they're doing a lot to confuse things
in an already fairly confusing realm.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net