Walt Mankowski on Tue, 9 Jan 2001 20:17:27 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Oddness with gdm (graphical login)

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 09:14:19AM -0500, Aaron E. Ross wrote:
>  Well.. since you got an answer i want one too. I can't get ctrl and
>  caps lock to remap when i login. I've tried a number of methods,
>  but I always have to run xmodmap after everything is up.
>
>  So.. what is the best way to remap keys?

I don't use gdm, so I have the following line in my ~/.xinitrc

xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

This tells xmodmap to use ~/.Xmodmap as an input file.  Here's what it
loops like:

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L

Since you're running gdm you'll have to add that xmodmap line to
whatever it uses (.xsession?) as a control file to run commands upon
starting up.  .Xmodmap can stay the same as I have here.

Walt