Jaiwant Mulik on Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:57:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] 2.4 Kernel release

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Beldon wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 January 2001 13:48, you wrote:
> > Kinda newbish question.. BUT
> >
> > Is it out?  Are the distros going to offer patchs and or a spot to download
> > it at?

A good way to keep track of kernel releases:

[jmulik ~]$finger linux@finger.kernel.org
[zeus.kernel.org]

    The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is:     2.4.0
    The latest beta version of the Linux kernel is:       2.3.99-pre9
    The latest prepatch (alpha) version *appears* to be:  2.4.1-pre1

[jmulik ~]$

bye,

> > Or is it something that I can obtain from linux.org or something of the
> > like....
> >
> > And one last question... is this the offical from Linus release?  That big
> > break throught that was supposed to happen last year at some point?
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion but I am buying some new systems soon both for home
> > and work.. and I like to use the latest STABLE stuff :P
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Anthony
>
> I've been running 2.4.0-pre11 on my RH7 box with no noticable ill effects.
>
> I know RH7 has raised some hackles with their choice of gcc, but that's been
> patched now.
>
> Anyway, I can't imagine 2.4.0 is that much less stable, though I have yet to
> compile it on my RH box.

Jaiwant Mulik
Email        : jmulik@unix.temple.edu (preferred), jmulik@acm.org
Home page    : http://unix.temple.edu/~jmulik
Office hours : None during winter break.
Location     : Room 1043/1044, Wachman Hall.
Phones       : (215) 204-3197 (o), (215) 777-4828 (r)
Lekin woh zindagi he kya, jisme koi namumkin sapna na ho ?

"Lets look at this from a logical point of view" - Prof. in class.