Andrew Barnett on Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:57:17 -0500

[PLUG] Re: booting from ISO

Brenden Sgalio wrote:
> I've recently downloaded the ISO image for Slackware
> and I'm wondering if I am able to just boot from this
> image for the initial install.  I have the root and boot
> floppies and have gotten through the install process up
> to the point where it asks for the installation media.  My
> system does not seem to recognize the install.iso
> image on the CD and says that there is nothing found.
> Do I have to process the raw .iso image somehow before
> the install program will recognise it?

I just installed Slackware yesterday, and had the exact same problem.
Two things about this:

1) The Slackware root floppy only includes /dev/hda (and /dev/hda1-?),
there is no /dev/hdb device. This would obviously make it difficult to
mount a CD drive on hdb, hdc, etc. The solution is to go to the shell
window (hit Alt-F2 from the install window), cd to /dev, and run
'mknod hdb b 3 64' (to make hdb, obviously...). Apply the appropriate
variation if your CD drive is on the second IDE controller, or is
SCSI. Do this before the install tries to detect the source media,
and it should find your drive.

2) I believe the Slackware website mentions that the ISO image is
bootable. I personally have not tried it since the machine I'm
installing to doesn't support bootable CD's. I may be wrong about
this, but as long as your CD software transfers the ISO correctly, and
your machine's BIOS correctly handles bootable CD's, you should be all
set. One caveat, however: just because you can boot from the CD
doesn't mean that the install program will be able to see the drive.
If the root image on the CD is the same as the floppy (missing
hdb), you will be in the same place as before -- only faster.

Andrew Barnett                                      PO Box 701
Data Clarity, Inc.                                  Abington, PA 19001
andrew@dataclarity.com                              tel (877)496-3527
http://www.dataclarity.com/                         fax (801)382-1525