Alex Barylo on Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:17:39 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: sendmail "host not found" error

--- Kevin Falcone <kevinfal@seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> writes:
>
>   EC> My question is, does sendmail require a valid DNS
> record to
>   EC> operate correctly?  Should not sending an email
> directly to
>   EC> user@ip_address work?  We currently do not have
> any DNS record
>   EC> for this network.
>
> If you want to send mail to a machine without a DNS
> entry, you have to
> send to user@[ip.address.here]

That's not the only way:
- add appropriate entry to /etc/hosts
- add to sendmail.mc:

define(`confSERVICE_SWITCH_FILE',`/etc/mail/service.switch')dnl
- create /etc/mail/service.switch containing:
    hosts files      # This is what you need,
    aliases files    # not sure if you need these
    passwd files     # two. You probably do.

Then, as usual after modifying sendmail.mc, do:
- m4 <sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf
- killall -HUP sendmail

Alex.

=====
Before the accident, I could not even spell UNIX