Walt Mankowski on Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:27:21 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ntpd problems

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 12:37:14AM +0100, MaD dUCK wrote:
> hey,
> i am running xntp version 3 on one of my machines and
> updates from various time servers work perfectly. i would
> like to use this server as a time server for my internal
> network (192.168.14.0) and have added the appropriate
> lines to /etc/ntp.conf:
>
> restrict default ignore
> restrict 192.168.14.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap notrust
>
> however, trying it out with ntpdate, i get an error:
>
> fishbowl:~ # ntpdate -b -p8 -u albatross
> 17 Jan 00:35:50 ntpdate[20159]: no server suitable for
>   synchronization found
> fishbowl:~ # ntpdate albatross
> 17 Jan 00:35:57 ntpdate[20172]: no server suitable for
>   synchronization found
> fishbowl:~ #
>
> so i went ahead and tested the server with a windoze
> client, running dimension 4 (prolly the best ntp client
> for windoze), and it states that the server (albatross)
> returns a wrong ntp packet.
>
> how do i enable the ntp server to be used by ntpdate on
> the internal network?

It sounds like you may have confused ntpdate and ntpd.  ntpdate will
update the time and exit.  If you want to use ntpdate to keep your
machine updated on an ongoing basis, you have to schedule ntpdate to
run periodically using cron.

ntpdate doesn't look in /etc/ntp.conf.  You have to pass the ntp
server or servers on the command line:

ntpdate -b -p8 -u albatross 192.168.14.0

ntpd is different.  It's a daemon that continuously talks to time
servers and keeps making slight changes to your system time to stay in
sync.

On my laptop I run ntpdate during bootup and then use ntpd to stay in
sync with my desktop machine while the laptop is running.  I'm using
ntp 4.0.00g-2 under Debian.  The xntp syntax may be slightly
different, but I only have two lines in my ntp.conf:

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
server 192.168.1.1

Walt