Bill Jonas on Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:41:59 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Mounting vfat partition as rw?

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 11:08:21PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> But that didn't work. I have no permission to write as anything but
> root.
> I know that FAT style partitions don't support permissions.
>
> I know it's something simple. But what?

Root owns all the files because he's the one who mounted it.

Try adding 'users' to the options part of the fstab.

...Come to think of it, that might not solve your problem fully.  Root
would probably still mount it when the system comes up, necessitating your
unmounting it as root, then re-mounting it as a user...

Hmm.  If that's the case, then you might want to add 'users' to the
options section of fstab, and something like the following (assuming you
use bash) to your .bash_profile:
[ -n $(mount |grep Storage) ] || mount /Storage

If I remember the conditionals for bash's built-in test command correctly
(can't seem to find the man page with all the stuff on it), this will
execute 'mount /Storage' if 'Storage' occurs in the output of 'mount' (ie,
the string is non-zero, which is what I *believe* the -n test does).

--
Bill Jonas                | "In contrast to the What You See Is What You
bill@billjonas.com        |  Get (WYSIWYG) philosophy, UNIX is the You