Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:07:19 -0500

Re: [PLUG] phantom file

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 10:53:47PM -0500, Michael Whitman wrote:
> there is this file name README.configure in my apache installation
> directory.  I know it is there because I can open it with emacs 'emacs
> ./README.configure' as well as copy it to a different location and open it
> with emacs.  The weird thing is that the file does not show up in the list
> when i do a 'ls -a'.  Whats is going on?  I assume this is a weird unix
> thing i don't know about yet.

Assuming you haven't figured it out, could you please send us the
output of something like the following:

#!/bin/sh
file ./README.configure
ls -l ./README.configure
echo "---- ls -a now:"
ls -a
echo "---- done with ls -a"

If neither "file" nor "ls -l" show that the file exists, maybe show us
something else, like "head" or "tail".

I suspect by the time you do all that, you'll have figured it out and
won't need to ask, but, just in case.

Note that files that *begin* with '.' don't show in ls but do in ls
-a. But that shouldn't apply here. My guess (sorry) is that you're
misreading the ls -a output. I've done this often myself.

Try also

    ls -a | grep -n README

which will tell you what line it finds matches on (if it finds
any). Then look at

    ls -a | cat

which will force single column output so you can look at the right line.

Then try ls -a now that you know roughly where to look.

--
 Jeff