MaD dUCK on Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:57:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] bbs/web forums

also sprach gabriel rosenkoetter (on Sun, 21 Jan 2001 12:49:54PM -0500):
> It's maybe a little shady of me to recommend it, as I went to high
> school and am going to college with the author, but you should check
> out Lykeion (http://aphelion.dydex.com/lykeion/), which allows users
> of a Unix-like system (it runs on Debian here at Swarthmore) to
> create their own forums easily with permissions to read and write
> based on the underlying Unix file permissions.

the one problem (or possibly a feature, depending on how you intend to
use it) which i see is that tom's current version requires every
poster to log in with an account on the system - i.e. no webusers, no
guest user, only registered linux users...

but as i said, this may well be a feature and tom is also working on
the public option...

by the way, there's also always slashcode which is definitely not
suitable for everything and sometimes just too
junky/big/cumbersome/complicated, but it's a pretty professional and
excellent system.

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--