Aaron E. Ross on Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:17:13 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Magpage

at a time earlier than now, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 07:56:15PM -0500, Matthew and Lisa Rice wrote:
> > I'm moving to a new house, and want to set up a DSL line.  I'm weighing
> > the choices, and wonder if anyone has dealt with/heard anything about
> > Magpage?
>
> I have not, and they may well be fine, but I thought I'd toss in my
> two-cented contentedness with my (fairly low-end) Speakeasy(.net)
> connection. (They're a touch pricier than some, but will readily
> dole out extra IPs and undertand that there exist people who *don't*
> use Windows.)

 I had good dsl with fast.net, but they're billing department can be a
 pain. the tech support was excellent.

> No matter who your DSL provider and ISP (two distinct entities,
> though they could be the same company if you like... say, COVAD, but
> you don't want COVAD as an ISP from what I've read) are, the lines
> belong to Verizon, and you will wait for them to install a copper
> loop for the DSL. And wait. And wait. (And if your experience is
> like mine, you'll wait a few more times than that.)

 True, true. Once you're up however, it pays to have a good ISP for all
 reasons it always does. are the mail, news, etc. servers up? are there
 major bottlenecks in their network? are the routing tables f'd up? are the
 dns servers any good? blah blah blah.

 I've decided to try earthlink dsl since it is a flat fee for any speed,
 saves me about 30 bucks a month, but i'm a little worried about them as
 a decent ISP. guess I'll should find out soon, eh?

 aaron

 man, i hate this weather.