Darxus on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:28:48 -0500

Re: [PLUG] trouble compiling 2.2.18 kernel under debian

On 01/31, Michael Leone wrote:
> Well, I read it. But just seeing that compile snippet wouldn't have told me
> that I was missing a package named "bin86" (I could figure it was missing
> something, but not what - in particular - was missing). What part of the
> snippet indicates that specific package name is missing?

It doesn't.

# dpkg -S as86
bin86: /usr/bin/as86

..the file /usr/bin/as86 is in package bin86.  But that's only helpful on
a box where bin86 is already installed.  So you would need to go to
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and search for as86 in the *second*
search thing on that page (people always mistakenly try the first one and
ask me why it doesn't work) - you want "Search the Contents of the Latest
Release".  Type in "as86".

http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=as86&case=insensitive&version=stable&arch=i386&directories=yes

Debian package contents search results

 FILE                                                       PACKAGE

 usr/bin/as86                                                devel/bin86

 usr/share/doc/bin86/examples/as86_encap                     devel/bin86

 usr/share/man/man1/as86.1.gz                                devel/bin86

http://www.ChaosReigns.com