MaD dUCK on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:40:24 -0500

[PLUG] xdm delays

hey,

when i log in through xdm, i am presented with a precisely 60 second
long delay before the first line of my .xsession is executed. in fact,
using root privileges to modify the xdm files, i found out that
/etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup_0 (which calls /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup) is
executed and finishes, but then the 60 second delay kicks in before
either of /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession_0 and /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession is
executed. so the problem isn't within the user configuration but
within the xdm configuration, and the 60 seconds lead me to think that
it is some form of name resolution problem or otherwise network
related, and my guess goes for XDMCP - which i haven't configured, but
port 6000 is open... furthermore, my name resolution in terms of DNS
and whatever works perfectly fine.

any ideas where the problem is, and more importantly, how to fix it???

thanks,
martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--