gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:50:28 -0500

Re: [PLUG] xdm delays

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 04:32:24PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> any ideas where the problem is, and more importantly, how to fix it???

Checking out XDMCP is probably a good idea (and I don't know where
to look exactly), but you might *also* want to see if your xdm is
trying to do kerberos verification after standard login (that is,
check out a ticket that would allow you into remote machines based
on your local permissions).

Yes, I know you're not using Kerberos, but if Debian was
(mistakenly, IMHO, as OpenBSD is and NetBSD was for a while)
configured to presume so because "it doesn't take long to check"
(which *should* be true, if your network is up, but is agonizingly
false if not).

One other thing to see... I remember RedHat and its ilk preferring
some "environment" (KDE, Gnome, whatever) to a simple window
manager... is it possible that this timeout is from trying to start
one of those and failing repeatedly? (Seems like that'd be in your
logs, though...)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net