MaD dUCK on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:10:23 -0500

Re: [PLUG] xdm delays

also sprach gabriel rosenkoetter (on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:41:32PM -0500):
> Checking out XDMCP is probably a good idea (and I don't know where
> to look exactly), but you might *also* want to see if your xdm is
> trying to do kerberos verification after standard login (that is,
> check out a ticket that would allow you into remote machines based
> on your local permissions).

i don't even have any kerberos installed:

fishbowl:~> dpkg -l \*kerb\*                                     [177] 16:56:16
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:uppercase=bad)
pn  kerberos4kth   <none>         (no description available)
pn  kerberos4kth-c <none>         (no description available)
pn  kerberos4kth-d <none>         (no description available)
pn  kerberos4kth-k <none>         (no description available)
pn  kerberos4kth-s <none>         (no description available)
pn  kerberos4kth-u <none>         (no description available)
pn  kerberos4kth-x <none>         (no description available)
pn  kerberos4kth1  <none>         (no description available)
fishbowl:~>                                                      [178] 16:56:32

pn basically means not installed and no config files present.

> Yes, I know you're not using Kerberos, but if Debian was
> (mistakenly, IMHO, as OpenBSD is and NetBSD was for a while)
> configured to presume so because "it doesn't take long to check"
> (which *should* be true, if your network is up, but is agonizingly
> false if not).

i can't find any reference to kerberos anywhere.
from xdm(1):

       After the user logs in, xdm runs the  Xstartup  script  as
       root.

       Then  xdm runs the Xsession script as the user.  This sys­
       tem session file may do some additional startup and  typi­
       cally  runs the .xsession script in the user's home direc­
       tory.  When the Xsession  script  exits,  the  session  is
       over.

but the delay happens right between the two paragraphs...
and the delay also exists if i start an XDMCP session from another
machine. same deal...

> One other thing to see... I remember RedHat and its ilk preferring
> some "environment" (KDE, Gnome, whatever) to a simple window
> manager... is it possible that this timeout is from trying to start
> one of those and failing repeatedly? (Seems like that'd be in your
> logs, though...)

no KDE and no gnome installed, and even in RedHat, the window manager
is only called if there does not exist a .xsession script. in any
case, all this happens in Xsession, but the delay takes place before
Xsession, but after the completion of Xstartup.

i am confused.
martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--