Earl J. Morris on Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:00:23 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Interesting read

Greetings Jon

  I checked out the first link and feel that it is primarily a press release from VMware to push their stock. First! The
NSA is not part of the military. Second! The NSA just does not advertise what they are doing. Their budget is not even
disclosed. Their thing is getting and decoding data. They are so good at it that they advise other government agencies
on how not to share. They wrote the "Tempest" specification for RF/EMC that is used by the military.

  I worked on a mil project many years ago that involved the NSA. They try and read the signals radiated by a data
device. These signals could be coming from a keyboard, printer, I/O bus, etc. If they can record good signals, they
claim that they can analyse it back home and decode the underlying data. Spooky, and that was over thirty years ago.

	Earl