LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:15:11 -0500

Re: [PLUG] IBM laptop and serial port troubles

Daniel G Roberts wrote:

> and How do you make sure that this port is "on" when a device that works on another
> linux box which is now connected to the laptop doesn't respond in minicom?  On the
> laptop I have tired /dev/ttyS* with no success whatsoever
> dan

try this:

	cat /var/log/dmesg | grep tty

this will tell you if the kernel detected any serial ports.

The longer the system is up and running the kernel messages slip away
from the dmesg command, but the original boot messages are stored in
/var/log/dmesg

If you get something back like

ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

then /dev/ttyS0 should be working, If not, check your kernel
configuration and build a kernel with serial ports

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )