qumak on Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:03:52 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Unix vs Dos for Virus Content

Le Jeudi  8 Février 2001 16:33, vous (MaD dUCK) avez écrit :
> also sprach Michael Leone (on Thu, 08 Feb 2001 04:28:08PM -0500):
> > To some extent, yes. Consider, tho - that's a user's CHOICE, to log in as
> > Administrator (or root, if you prefer). All you have to do is then set up
> > a user level account - exactly the same as you have to do in Unix/Linux -
> > and then log in as it. And use "su" or "sudo", when necessary. (that's
> > what I do - or try to)
> >
> > Standard security advice is NOT to log in as root (or Administrator) for
> > daily use. On any OS. But if you know the root password, who's to stop
> > you? (except you, of course)
> >
> > Not the OS's fault that you log in as root.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong - there's MANY things I dislike and criticize about
> > NT/Win2K. But I try to be fair about it's capabilities, too.
>
> yes and no - every linux user will know about root and at least know
> that it isn't a good thing to use it. those windows nt people i
> mentioned don't even know what an administrator is. the point is that
> there is a certain level of understanding among linux users which is
> higher than that of windows users.
>
> nevertheless, i think popularity is still the main argument for the
> proliferation of viruses via windows machines... as soon as linux will
> have replaced windows (if it does), it won't take long for email worms
> to surface for linux. somehow someone will figure something out...

but the nice thing about open source is that within hours of the release of
an email virus, it is quite possible that there could be a patch for either
mail forwarders or clients (depending on the virus and whatnot) - so fixes
shouldn't take all too long ;)

--qumak(james)