MaD dUCK on Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:31:41 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Unix vs Dos for Virus Content

also sprach Michael Leone (on Thu, 08 Feb 2001 04:28:08PM -0500):
> To some extent, yes. Consider, tho - that's a user's CHOICE, to log in as
> Administrator (or root, if you prefer). All you have to do is then set up a
> user level account - exactly the same as you have to do in Unix/Linux - and
> then log in as it. And use "su" or "sudo", when necessary. (that's what I
> do - or try to)
>
> Standard security advice is NOT to log in as root (or Administrator) for
> daily use. On any OS. But if you know the root password, who's to stop you?
> (except you, of course)
>
> Not the OS's fault that you log in as root.
>
> Don't get me wrong - there's MANY things I dislike and criticize about
> NT/Win2K. But I try to be fair about it's capabilities, too.

yes and no - every linux user will know about root and at least know
that it isn't a good thing to use it. those windows nt people i
mentioned don't even know what an administrator is. the point is that
there is a certain level of understanding among linux users which is
higher than that of windows users.

nevertheless, i think popularity is still the main argument for the
proliferation of viruses via windows machines... as soon as linux will
have replaced windows (if it does), it won't take long for email worms
to surface for linux. somehow someone will figure something out...

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
your fly might be open (but don't check it just now).