Michael Leone on Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:56:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Unix vs Dos for Virus Content

On 08 Feb 2001 16:33:20 -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:

> yes and no - every linux user will know about root and at least know
> that it isn't a good thing to use it. those windows nt people i
> mentioned don't even know what an administrator is. the point is that
> there is a certain level of understanding among linux users which is
> higher than that of windows users.

Again - USER issue. Not a limitiation in the design of the OS. And
there's a few Windows types with a clue. :-)

> nevertheless, i think popularity is still the main argument for the
> proliferation of viruses via windows machines... as soon as linux will
> have replaced windows (if it does), it won't take long for email worms
> to surface for linux. somehow someone will figure something out...

I think it's that, *AND* the design of the OS. I mean, look how many
MILLIONS of Unix computers there are ... and how few viruses. Ditto
macs.

Yes, to a large extant, the virus writers focus on the popular stuff
(Windows), and therefore find holes, wherever they are. But the types of
holes and the number of them that they find are ALSO indicative of
porous design.

> martin
>
> [greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
> --
> your fly might be open (but don't check it just now).

Michael J. Leone <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Registered Linux user #201348

As the bombshells of my daily fears explode ...
                         _Galileo_, The Indigo Girls