Michael Leone on Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:07:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Unix vs Dos for Virus Content

On 08 Feb 2001 17:07:05 -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> easier to commoditize computer use. Thus the interpretation of
> scripts and html in Outlook. I don't think I've ever seen a legitimate
> use of a scripted email. Sure, it might be cute to send your mom an
> interactive Mother's Day card or something but, um, the only people
> using this are sending spam and viruses. So why's it still part of
> Outlook? By default, no less?

Spammers are not the only people sending scripted email. You obviously
don't get the Techweb newsletter. :-)

It is HTML, and my Outlook Express asks me if I will let it run the
scripts in the email. They're harmles, and it's stupid, but it's a legit
newsletter. Having at least a partial clue, I don't let OE run scripts
without asking.

And I know a LOT of people who like the creativity of HTML email
(background images, spiffy fonts, etc). Not the same old boring "looks
like it was typed on a 1910 typewriter on plain white paper" look.

As to why it's the defalut ... because it makes for prettier email.
Because it makes for easier access to "active content" - i.e.,
constantly changing stuff, the way banner ads change every few seconds.
And because MS designers are rose-colored glass wearing, stuck in the
50s in Ozzie & Harriet land, naive little fools who don't believe that
there are bad guys out there. :-)
(altho that's changing)

Michael J. Leone <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Registered Linux user #201348

As the bombshells of my daily fears explode ...
                         _Galileo_, The Indigo Girls